Calling all Stellenbosch University students! Pitch your businesses and ideas at the SU IdeaSmash 2020 and stand a chance to win your share of R60 000.
The Nedbank Stellenbosch University LaunchLab, in partnership with the Office of the Vice-Rector: Research, Innovation and Postgraduate Studies is looking for SU students with innovative business ideas across multiple study fields to impact our community and nation.
IdeaSmash serves as the Stellenbosch University internal round of the Entrepreneurship Development in Higher Education Intervarsity Programme 2020. The winners of IdeaSmash will be put forward at a national level to represent the University in EDHE Intervarsity Competition for 2020.
The LaunchLab is recognised as the UBI Top Challenger in Africa for 2019 and 2020. IdeaSmash is an opportunity for SU students to be part of LaunchLab’s incubation programme which gives them the connections they need to start, build and grow their own businesses. Students will be able to validate their concepts or improve their technology offerings to the market. LaunchLab will assist students to validate their value propositions and discover who their customers are, using a lean startup approach.
Cassidy de Wet, last year’s winner of IdeaSmash and founder of Tjaarge Electric Skateboarding, says: “I’ve sold more twice as many electric skateboards in the past six months by being part of LaunchLab than being on my own for about a year. It’s so important to be part of the LaunchLab community for any startup.”
IdeaSmash winners will get the following benefits:
- A share of R60 000
- A certificate of recognition from the Office of the Rector for Research and Innovation.
- Incubation support from LaunchLab
- Entry into the EDHE National Intervarsity Programme
The categories for entry are:
- Business Ideas
- Existing Business – Tech
- Existing Business – Social Impact
- Existing Business – General
The judging criteria are:
- Is the business model clear and feasible?
- Has the business been tested in the market yet?
- Who is the target market, and how is the business positioned to reach its target market?
- How is the business different from its competitors?
- Is the business opportunity realistically achievable?
IdeaSmash is the perfect chance for SU students to turn their business ideas into reality. To enter, please complete the EDHE form on the LaunchLab website: https://launchlab.co.za/stellenbosch-university-ideasmash
Deadline for entries: Monday, 2 March 2020